- Created on Friday, 29 July 2011 14:53
Contact: Collette DuValle, 317-221-2463
Hot Weekend Weather Increases Risk for Heat Illness
An additional 17 individuals sought heat related treatment at Indianapolis hospital emergency departments July 28, bringing the total number of patients to 134 since July 18.
The age breakdown for heat related emergency department patients:
- 0-4 years 10 total patients
- 5-17 years 24 total patients
- 18-64 years 74 total patients
- 65 and older 26 total patients
With the weekend approaching and the Brickyard 400 auto race, health officials encourage those staying outdoors for prolonged periods of time to drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and take frequent breaks in a cooled environment.
Individuals should also be aware of heat illness symptoms including:
- Excessive thirst
- Muscle aches and cramps
- Confusion or anxiety
- Drenching sweats, often accompanied by cold, clammy skin.
- Slowed or weakened heartbeat.
Pets also are susceptible to heat illness and should have appropriate shelter and access to food and water.